Thursday, August 14, 2008

ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

When I tried to create a new table in database I got the error:

ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

In fact, I had just deleted a table from TOAD.

( I use TOAD- perhaps most users use TOAD (Tool for Application Developer), I actually don't know how much users useTOAD! I think it is a very good tool if one uses Oracle as the backend. For only those who are beginning to use Oracle as the backend, here is where you can find what the TOAD is. You can download it and use it easily.I bet you will not require any training. Just look at it and find how easy it is! Not more than 28 MB. It is exactly 27.4 MB in the BackUP folder of my D- Drive! Ok, I will blog about it sometime later. A marvellous product-TOADSoft.com - Home of the World's #1 Tool for Database Professionals! (as they claim!!)

Click here: http://www.toadsoft.com.
You will be welcomed with the following messages:

Toad®, Market-leading tool that provides quick and easy database development and administration.Welcome to ToadSoft!

Toad is a powerful, low-overhead tool that makes database and application development faster and easier and simplifies day-to-day administration tasks.

Whether you are a database developer, application developer, DBA or business analyst, Toad offers specific features to make you more productive than ever before.
).
I thought I dropped the table Equipments and tried to run the script to create a table with exactly the same again. So I found out that ORA-00955 is not a severe error. I just dropped the table Equipements and regenerated it using the scriptI had already generated. It worked!

Cause: The "error ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object" occurs if there isalready a database object (table, synonym, view, index, or cluster) and we try to create an object with the same name.

Note: I described that I was creating a table by running a script against the database from thetool TOAD. In fact, one can do it using the graphical interface of TOAD also. TOAD is in fact an IDE for Oracle database management and programming. I also love graphical tools!!

Before completing this post, I would like to invite you to read on implementation of object relational database features like inheritance, collection array, nested table etc. in Oracle which has been well illustrated using a simple ecommerce database scenario.

Happy Oracling! Happy Programming!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hope you liked this post. You can leave your message or you can put your valuable suggestions on this post here. Thanks for the sharing and cooperation!

Popular Posts

Recent Articles